Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

http://sotn.heliohost.org/

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Mon 05 Jan 2015, 09:06

I disagree with part of that,

I wish there was another simpler way to get to the Programmers room and the other areas, since I don't necessarily
find it fun or enjoy staring at inventory screens and coding for hours and hours LOL...

but I personally want to see Castlevania SOTN (and other games) being pushed to their absolute limits of glitching without restrictions,
regardless if it is some what boring and even if it sadly ends with the game being completely broken, because it is the natural progression
of glitching a beloved game, and usually happens because the game is so beloved... that is why I have never played by the WBW's rules
(even though I highly respect them.)

SOS it still a pure glitch, no matter how Game Shark/Cheat Engine like it maybe... and on SOTN,
SOS is not precise because some higher values can not be written into the music pointer, as well
some values just completely crash the game.

That is why on SOTN at least, it still takes a lot of hard work and creative thinking to try and get
around these problems and make the SOS glitches work.

lol! and so we will forever have the two categories, the World Beyond Wall's rules... and the no restriction rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2014-08-08

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Tue 06 Jan 2015, 16:49

If I understood your post, you're not disagreeing with me at all lol.

What I said is that SOS wasn't a clean tech and it belonged to cheatengine or so category. It may be limited in what values u can use, but its still code replacement..

And I was talking about WBW~ rules. Ofc it is good to have an "all around" category for totally exploiting the game Very Happy, and there SOS is welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Wed 07 Jan 2015, 04:39

someolddude wrote:
SOS wasn't a clean tech and it belonged to cheatengine or so category. It may be limited in what values u can use, but its still code replacement..
That is where I wanted to make sure we were making a distinction...

That there is really 3 categories, do or can we agree they are like this Question

1 World Beyond Walls Rules Glitches.

2 No Restriction Rules Glitches which includes SOS (but no Cheat Engine, Game Shark or Memory Hacking Software,
since these are not glitches)

3 Memory Hacking Software (includes Cheat Engine, Game Shark and all Memory Hacking Software.)

alien
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Wed 07 Jan 2015, 17:27

nathan7878 wrote:
someolddude wrote:
SOS wasn't a clean tech and it belonged to cheatengine or so category. It may be limited in what values u can use, but its still code replacement..
That is where I wanted to make sure we were making a distinction...

That there is really 3 categories, do or can we agree they are like this Question

1 World Beyond Walls Rules Glitches.

2 No Restriction Rules Glitches which includes SOS (but no Cheat Engine, Game Shark or Memory Hacking Software,
since these are not glitches)

3 Memory Hacking Software (includes Cheat Engine, Game Shark and all Memory Hacking Software.)

alien

Imho, 2 and 3 are the same. The fact that instead of doing X out of the game you do Y ingame in order to get some replacement code is just a detail considering that the result is also code replacement like gameshark. In the moment that you can select what the game does by overwritting code, that is category 3 no matter how you reach it Razz. Its just minor considerations but the same category for me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 05:35

To me, using a glitch (SOS) is completely different than using Game Shark...

so let us agree to disagree. cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pale-Dim
Amador 3
Amador 3

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 09:43

i certainly agree on that point too, Gameshark is for sure different. its a outside tool that injects code or replaces code, what SOS is doing is completely game manipulation based. I find it amazing that it even exists to work.

maybe someone can explain exactly what SOS is doing. From what i gather is that it involves how the game loads music and instead of music it points do a bugged item? and the item somehow acts like a adjustment to the teleport coding?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:24

Pale-Dim wrote:
i certainly agree on that point too,  Gameshark is for sure different.  its a outside tool that injects code or replaces code,  what SOS is doing is completely game manipulation based.  I find it amazing that it even exists to work.  

maybe someone can explain exactly what SOS is doing.  From what i gather is that it involves how the game loads music and instead of music it points do a bugged item?  and the item somehow acts like a adjustment to the teleport coding?

It's different, but the effect ingame ends up being the same..

SOS abuses the fact that the inventory works by searching X values in memory to get the items (instead of going to the starting position of memory from inventory+10 if you want the 10th item, it has "labels" in the memory and iterates on it until it finds that tag and loads that value). With the save trick, they can unequip the items and so delete some memory tags, and then the game, when searching for those tags specially, goes out of the "inventory" zone memory and ends up getting a part of the music pointer. With those 4 items, they manage to get the game pointing to the music pointer, and start writing code to memory from there (moving items on inventory to determined positions writes determined info in determined position in memory, and with this, instructions are programmed over the original game code..), abusing this. It's smart as hell, but still code replacement Razz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:57

I will probably make a video showing it pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 13:10

nathan7878 wrote:
I will probably make a video showing it pretty soon.

Do you mean a detailed one where you explain how everything works (like the value tag matching, that is hard to get at first because you don't expect the game to work like that), or some vid doing the trick on slomo?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 13:27

someolddude wrote:
or some vid doing the trick on slomo?

lol! That made me laugh so hard, I pictured in my mind making a very silly video... ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yeah, a detailed video showing everything... like the PSX screen and the coding screen side by side, explaining
everything step by step, I will make it this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 14:48

nathan7878 wrote:
someolddude wrote:
or some vid doing the trick on slomo?

lol! That made me laugh so hard, I pictured in my mind making a very silly video... ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yeah, a detailed video showing everything... like the PSX screen and the coding screen side by side, explaining
everything step by step, I will make it this weekend.

Awesome Very Happy

If you can do it for the USA version, so people with the rom around can try, it would be even more brilliant Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pale-Dim
Amador 3
Amador 3

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 23:55

mostly just an step by step explanation, A lot of us never use any third party tools to glitch. the most i use is simple gameshark codes to access programmers room or remove walls or inf double jump or other useless garbage. haha. A lot of the lingo used to describe stuff goes right over our heads Smile hahaha.

This is what i am seeing in the video's. I'm sure others see the same sort of thing and are completely lost

load game, go to librarian room, Open menu, move stuff around, move stuff around, sort items menu (bugged), create bugged items, move them around, sort items, move items, move items, move items, sort items, move items, move items, loads programmers room..... WTF
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 14:24

Pale-Dim wrote:
mostly just an step by step explanation,  A lot of us never use any third party tools to glitch.  the most i use is simple gameshark codes to access programmers room or remove walls or inf double jump or other useless garbage.  haha.  A lot of the lingo used to describe stuff goes right over our heads Smile  hahaha.

This is what i am seeing in the video's.  I'm sure others see the same sort of thing and are completely lost

load game,  go to librarian room,  Open menu,  move stuff around,  move stuff around, sort items menu (bugged), create bugged items,  move them around, sort items,  move items,  move items, move items, sort items,  move items, move items,  loads programmers room..... WTF

Haha, yeah if you got no idea you just see that. I also explained a little what was happening on a prior post, if Nathan makes that vid you will understand it better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Mon 12 Jan 2015, 13:07

The video is easier to understand if you pause while reading the text and then proceed... if you want me to explain
anything in greater detail, let me know... but the video should clear up the basics about how SOS works.

someolddude wrote:
If you can do it for the USA version, so people with the rom around can try, it would be even more brilliant Very Happy
I did not have a save file to do that, but doing it on the US version is the same except for 1 small detail, I tell in the
video what it is.

Pale-Dim wrote:

This is what i am seeing in the video's.  I'm sure others see the same sort of thing and are completely lost

load game,  go to librarian room,  Open menu,  move stuff around,  move stuff around, sort items menu (bugged), create bugged items,  move them around, sort items,  move items,  move items, move items, sort items,  move items, move items,  loads programmers room..... WTF
lol! I totally understand, I felt the same before I learned from Sockfolder's videos, which still took me along time.

Oh, and watch the video on Youtube's page not this one, the video will look way better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Mon 12 Jan 2015, 18:26

nathan7878 wrote:
Oh, and watch the video on Youtube's page not this one, the video will look way better.

Awesome video. Thank you a lot!

Yeah, it is 99% like I though when I understood it just iterated for values. Very smart hack Smile.

A shame the annotations (which are a little off in the memory zone, may confuse ppl) aren't inside the own video, so we can't download the vid with them integrated :'(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Mon 12 Jan 2015, 19:35

someolddude wrote:
A shame the annotations (which are a little off in the memory zone, may confuse ppl)
The very small annotation rectangles that highlight numbers are a little off because the editing program would not let me
make them any smaller.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
someolddude
Amador 2
Amador 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Tue 13 Jan 2015, 19:17

nathan7878 wrote:
someolddude wrote:
A shame the annotations (which are a little off in the memory zone, may confuse ppl)
The very small annotation rectangles that highlight numbers are a little off because the editing program would not let me
make them any smaller.

Damn. If you could integrate them into the video and place them properly (and make it 720p/1080p haha)... that'd be a gem worth saving Very Happy. I completely suck at editing anything with images... otherwise I'd do it myself.

And thanks again for the vid. Excellent stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nathan7878
Veterano 2
Veterano 2

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   Tue 13 Jan 2015, 20:15

I don't have the time to do that now, since that type of editing can take hours... but maybe in the future cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map   

Back to top Go down

PSX SOS Glitches-Programmers,Bloodlines,3rd Marble,Max Map
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2